Saturday, June 23, 2012

Annie Sloan Paint Class

Here is the finished product from my Annie Sloan Chalk Paint class!  It really was a fun and easy class and I finished this table in 3 hours!
 Marcia and I arrived at TLC Vintage Collection in Des Moines at a little after 8 am. We met Janet, the owner and wandered around the shop while we waited for others to arrive. She's got lots of pieces that she has painted and many that are waiting for that special someone to take them home. She also has some sweet stencils. I just wanted to get started after seeing all the colors that she had available.
Annie Sloan Chalk Paint is a product that I had seen on several blogs that I found on Pintrest and I was dying to try it.  So I finally found some place closer than New Jersey and talked my sister-in-law Marcia into joining me on this adventure.


Above, is the table I took.  To the left of the table is the step stool that Marcia brought.  My table was my mother's old sewing machine cabinet that my father had 'redone' by removing the old machine and permanently attaching the fold out part of the table so it wouldn't open.  There is also a drawer.  Marcia's is a stool made by her uncle and refinished several times.

 This is the first coat I put on my table.  It is called Duck Egg Blue.  No stripping, no sanding, no priming! No kidding!
Marcia applied Emperor's Silk  to her stool. 


Next, after the blue dried, I applied Old Ochre, let it dry and then distressed the piece with a dampened cloth that I rubbed all over to remove some of the ochre.  Then came the WAX.  Clear wax first then a dark wax that you rub off immediately (I was sweating!).

Marcia ran into some difficulty and had to start over (it is pink!), but still managed to have a nicely finished product and finished when I did!



Here is Janet Pillar, shop owner and teacher, talking about my finished piece. (Marcia said I was 'teacher's pet').  It was a fun and informative class.  Now, I want to repaint Lauren's vanity, chairs, nightstands, etc.  Too much fun!! .. I'm even thinking about the center island in the kitchen...

4 comments:

www.tlcvintagecollection.com said...

Bette -- so fun to have you in class. Look forward to seeing more of your projects! Maybe also a future advanced class? Janet

terrisimandl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
terrisimandl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
terrisimandl said...

Bette, looks great!! Beware though, this paint is addicting, you will be seeing alot of Janet!!