Friday, May 10, 2013

Wacky Quilting 101

 Wow, talk about wacky quilts!  I bought this kit in Dubuque at the Cotton Cabin in March.  They had a sample on the wall and I thought it was really cute.  Friend Jackie said she had the book with the pattern that I could borrow, so I bought it.  Well, I got home and low and behold, I had the book because I made a Christmas tree skirt from it many years ago.  It is by Buggy Barn Quilts.  It is in the book, "Stir Crazy", Bunny Tails is the pattern.
 If you've never done one of their quilts, its quite a change of pace.  The biggest challenge is just 'letting go' and cutting against a straight edge not because you have measured anything but just because you want a straight line. So, when its time to sew the pieces together, you have to 'straighten' those edges just by putting that straight edge there,not because it has to measure any size.  Hard to explain...  As you can see by the edges of the above quilt block, everything is 'off'' and will have to be 'squared-up' to a certain size in the end. But, they give you plenty of fabric to work with so that is no problem.  In fact, that would be the biggest complaint...there is a lot of fabric waste.  But the end product is so fun, you don't care (or at least, I didn't). Of course, the best thing to do is to read the directions in the front of the book.  They explain the stacking of the fat quarters and making the pattern on freezer paper, etc.
Above is the picture from the book.  I am still working on the blocks. So I'll show you more as I get it finished.  My colors are different.  But it is coming out quite nicely, I'd say!

No comments: